(Happy Birthday Stephen!)
My Bible Study note for 1 May was from Deut 31:8: The Lord is the One who goes before you. He will be with you, He will not leave you nor forsake you; do not fear nor be dismayed.
Not a bad reading for a birthday and it got me to thinking about what it means for us to go forward in our faith. How do we grow? God goes before us – but how do we follow?
You may have other suggestions but this is what I thought:
- read a good book – I have borrowed “Run with horses” by Eugene Peterson (the Message author) – very challenging and informative investigation into Jeremiah – from the library at Barnies (ask Olga or Bernie for help – there are some great books there)
- read The Good Book – Bible notes are helpful – they keep prodding when you forget/run out of time
- take part in a good group – we have 2 but need more (any volunteers?)
- listen to the sermons – we may not get it all right, but we do pray about them and so God may speak through them – even if only through what we missed
- pray – silence and words and listening to the gaps
- the internet has resources; e-mail Bible verses/poems may sometimes seem annoying but they do keep us remembering that God is part of our life
- friends – talk about what is happening in your faith-walk – as you might talk about the latest film/sport/family news
- do something – getting involved in fixing a bit of the world reminds us of Jesus’ example and teaching – practice consistent and not just random acts of kindness
Strength to you and may you grow and move forward without fear but with joy and anticipation.